Here is a list of resources to help you with your writing needs, compiled by the Center for Excellence in Writing and Communication.
Writing Center Materials
- Writing Tutorial Referral Form: Bring this form to the Center if you want to give your instructor a report on what was covered during the consultation.
Working with References
- Academic Honesty Tips: A tipsheet on proper source citation & avoiding plagiarism, created by UCI instructors.
- Academic Honesty Learning Module: A UCI-developed interactive multimedia learning module on academic honesty.
- Academic Honesty Learning Video: A YouTube version of the module above.
Comprehensive Writing Guides
- Purdue OWL: A resource for any grammar topic as well as a guide to editing, subject-specific writing and correct use of citations.
- University of Wisconsin Writer’s Handbook: A student writer’s handbook with tips on everything from style to essay development to grammar and punctuation.
- Capital Community College Guide to Grammar & Writing: Thorough grammatical advice from the level of words to paragraphs, and advice on essay style, structure, and drafting as well.
- Links for Writers: A collection of web-based resources for a variety of topics, including business writing, citation guides, grammar guides, and resumes and cover letters.
General Grammar References
- About.com Grammar: A website covering English composition and grammar from parts of speech all the way up to essay structure, maintained by Dr. Richard Nordquist, an experienced composition instructor and writing center director.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center Handouts: UNC Chapel Hill’s website has a variety of helpful handouts and presentations on grammar and essay development.
- University of Minnesota Online Grammar Handbook: A comprehensive and organized set of web links to grammar and editing tips for nearly every writing issue you could think of, from basic mechanics to writing conventions in different disciplines.
- GrammarBook.com: Site based on the 10th edition of the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation by Jane Strauss. Includes specific grammar and punctuation rules with examples, as well as suggestions for more effective writing.
- Bainbridge College Grammar Help: A bare-bones website, but it contains many helpful links to websites dealing with grammar issues, organized by topic.
- Grammar Bytes: A site with grammar rules, exercises, and presentations, delivered in a fun and irreverent manner.
Editing and Style Guides
- UCI Correction Symbols (with links to explanations of terms): A list of common correction symbols used in writing instruction at UCI.
- UCI Correction Symbols (PDF): A printable version of the above.
- Jack Lynch’s Grammar and Style Notes: An alphabetical index on topics in grammar and style, with more of an emphasis on style than most grammar guides.
- Colorado State writing guides: A list of writing guides for students, including essay revision and editing tips.
- Longman Dictionary Online: Free, full dictionary search for words along with countable vs. non-countable noun explanations and prepositional phrases commonly used with each verb.
- Englishpage.com Verb + Preposition Diectionary: A searchable dictionary that shows you what prepositions go with what verb meanings.
Question and Answer
- Grammar Girl: An irreverent take on grammar questions, filled with humorous examples and audio clips.
- Dave’s ESL Cafe: A long-running website with grammar tips and forums for students who are English language learners, run by Dave Sperling.
- UCI Campus Resources: A referral guide to academic, counseling, and other student resources across the UCI campus.