Here is a list of resources to help faculty with their instructional needs, compiled by the Center for Excellence in Writing and Communication.
How to Instruct Your Students to Utilize the Writing Center
- How to Instruct Your Students to Utilize the Writing Center: This one page document describes the center’s three types of services as well as answers some frequently asked questions for instructors.
- Workshop Request Form: Instructors, use this form if you want to request a specialist to visit your class. Advance notice of at least one month is required.
Writing Center Materials
- Writing Tutorial Referral Form: Instructors, use this form if you want to refer a student to the Center and want a report on what was covered during the consultation.
- Writing Requirements: An overview of writing requirements at UCI.
- CWC Faculty Resources and Guidelines for Upper-Division Writing Courses: Upper-division writing course guidelines, as well as instructions on how to propose such a course.
- Sample Syllabi: Sample syllabi from past upper-division writing courses.
- Writing Across the Curriculum Clearinghouse: The WAC Clearinghouse offers a tremendous set of resources for faculty who teach both writing across the curriculum and writing in the disciplines. Research reports and scholarly studies complement practical advice in this must-see website.
- Teaching Multilingual Students: Teaching techniques & activities offered by faculty across disciplines to promote an inclusive classroom environment
- Past CWCC Research: One-time and ongoing research projects in writing studies, composition studies, and writing across the curriculum by the Campus Writing & Communication Coordinator.
Writing Program Links
- Humanities Core Course
- English composition sequence
- First-Year Integrated Program
- Program in Academic English / ESL
- UCI Academic Integrity Policy, from the UC Irvine Academic Senate Manual.
- Academic Honesty Tips: A tipsheet on proper source citation & avoiding plagiarism, created by UCI instructors.
- Academic Honesty Learning Module: A UCI-developed interactive multimedia learning module on academic honesty.
Comprehensive Writing Guides
- Purdue OWL: A resource for any grammar topic as well as a guide to editing, subject-specific writing and correct use of citations.
- University of Wisconsin Writer’s Handbook: A student writer’s handbook with tips on everything from style to essay development to grammar and punctuation.
- Capital Community College Guide to Grammar & Writing: Thorough grammatical advice from the level of words to paragraphs, and advice on essay style, structure, and drafting as well.