How We Help with Grammar
Do peer tutors help students with grammar?
Yes. We provide instructional guidance to help students learn to identify and correct their grammatical errors. In alignment with our educational mission, writing center peer tutors do not proofread students’ essays for them, but instead provide writing coaching to undergraduates in the following ways:
- Identify patterns of grammatical error
- Teach process-oriented strategies to find and correct errors
- Suggest proofreading techniques
- Work to instill the confidence students need to progress as writers
- Suggest additional resources for studying grammar