At the Center, our mission is your improvement as a writer, not simply the improvement of your paper.
We offer feedback and guide you through choices in the writing process, rather than making your decisions and editing a paper for you. Students frequently comment on how much they improve. (Click here for more information about our consultation practices.)
Book an appointment
Book your appointment up to 2 weeks in advance. Appointment slots fill up fast, but are made available when students cancel, so check back regularly for new availability within the online booking system. This will also allow you adequate time for revision.
*June 19 – June 23 – Only walk-in appointments will be available due to a transition to a new appointment scheduling system.*
(NOTE: no reception staff on duty during summer; email preferred)
See our hours of operation for available times; appointments are booked on the hour.
How to prepare for your appointment
Fill out the intake form. This is required for each in-person appointment. Click the button above to complete the required form.
- Review your paper and/or materials before bringing them in. Your appointment will be much more efficient, and the advice you get more useful, if the session is not slowed down by a number of potentially confusing issues or errors that you could have caught yourself.
- Prioritize what you would like feedback on. We may not be able to get all the way through long papers or multiple papers due to the in-depth nature of writing consultations.
- Bring your assignment instructions (or “essay prompt”) to your appointment. If you are writing about a text, bring the text to your appointment as well.
- Prepare questions for the Writing Specialist. Having a specific concern or question for your specialist will help you make the most of your session. Read tips for getting feedback on your writing.
- Appointments are available for currently enrolled UCI undergraduates only and are made with professional, full-time Writing Specialists.
- Appointments are limited to 2 appointments per week per student and 1 appointment per day due to high demand and to ensure adequate revision between appointments. This includes in-person and email consultations.
Appointments are forfeited if you are 15 minutes late. However, you may still wait for one as a walk-in.
- You must call at least one hour ahead to cancel an appointment or risk losing appointment privileges.
- If you fail to show up for an appointment without advance notification, you will lose appointment privileges for the quarter.
- If you are bringing a take-home essay exam, you must provide written permission (e.g., syllabus or instructor note) allowing you to use the Writing Center.
- Graduate students may make appointments at the Graduate Resource Center.