At the Center, our mission is your improvement as a writer, not simply the improvement of your paper.
We will offer feedback and guide you through the writing process, but we will not “edit” or “revise” essays. (Click here for more information about our consultation practices.)
Graduate students may make appointments at the Graduate Resource Center.
How to make an appointment
Step 1: Make sure to fill out our required information form prior to booking each appointment.
Step 2: Click the book now link below to use our new online appointment booking system.
Step 3: Read about what to expect from your consultation, prepare your questions for the Writing Specialist, and remember to bring your assignment instructions (or “essay prompt”) to your appointment. If you are writing about a text, please bring the text to your appointment as well.
Contact the Center directly
Phone: 949-824-8949 (NOTE: no reception staff on duty during summer; email preferred)
See our hours of operation for available times; appointments are booked on the hour.
Advice on booking appointments
Here are some general tips to keep in mind when booking your appointment:
- Book your appointment up to 2 weeks in advance; appointment slots fill up fast, so check back regularly for new availability within the online booking system.
- Make your appointment for a time at least one or two days before your due date to allow adequate time for revision. For research papers, it’s ideal to book further in advance.
- Review your paper and/or materials before bringing them in. Your consultation session will be much more efficient, and the advice you get more useful, if the session is not slowed down by a number of potentially confusing issues or errors that you could have caught yourself.
- We may not be able to get all the way through long papers or multiple papers due to the in-depth nature of writing consultations. In such cases you may consider booking appointments on multiple days, or you can also take advantage of one of the other services listed above.
- We teach reading strategies, especially when papers involve writing about a text. For tutorials about academic reading and study skills, visit LARC.
- If you are unable to meet in person for your appointment, please email us at least one or two days before your appointment to make arrangements.
Please also be aware of the following policies regarding appointments:
- Appointments are available for currently enrolled UCI undergraduates only, and are made with professional, full-time Writing Specialists; availability may be limited during an academic quarter due to high demand.(For this reason, and to ensure adequate revision between consultations, there is also a limit of 2 appointments per week per student, and 1 per day. This includes in-person, real-time online, and email consultations.)
- If you fail to show up for an appointment 2 times without advance notification, you will lose your appointment privileges for the quarter.
- Appointments are forfeited if you are 15 minutes late. However, you may still wait for one as a walk-in.
- You must call at least one hour ahead to cancel an appointment.
- Graduate students may make appointments at the Graduate Resource Center.